Of course you know what is the steampunk! But in this article, translated from another site was collected a lot of interesting facts. And if you do not agree with something – let’s discuss it in the comments!
Lately this trendy genre became not only a line of mass culture, but a lifestyle for many of its fans. However, some of you still do not know what is steampunk and what it’s for. For these people we present our article. So…
Five certain traits of the steampunk genre:
- If the world around is filled with steam-powered mechanisms, then it is steampunk. You need a lot of steam, lots of lots of steam would be even better! Everything is working on steam. Common locomotives, steamboats, steam cars are neighbors with steam bikes, steam gramophones, steam lighters, steam sharpeners for steam pencils and other steam… things. Steam helicopters with steam dirigibles stroll through the sky and somewhere under the sea steam submarines guggle quietly. And even with the slow evaporation of steam in modern steampunk artpieces it remains in a state of the very core genre attribute.
- Usually, the world itself looks like Victorian England in the end of 19th century. The beliefs in the triumph of the technological and scientific progress are strong; the harsh wind of a revolution is in the air. Political structure of the society is usually based on the following scheme: impudent bourgeois class presses on self-indulged feudalists; feudalists damp agri-proletariat and thus create revolutionary thoughts in their minds. Also, the constant war threat exists as neighbor countries indecently envy the progress of the main country. These are the realities of a classic steam-world.
- One can say that weapons used by main characters and others are exotic to say the least. Apart from vintage revolvers and air guns we can observe retrofuturistic multibarrel rifles, stylish cross-bows, rubber spiked clubs and exotic “three-in-one” combo weapons such as knuckleduster-knife-gun, poleaxe-submachine-gun-club, slingshot-flamethrower-nunchaku. Aside of this weaponry we have steam-machine-guns, steam-cannons and other steam-weapon things.
- In steampunk-oriented works (games, movies, books) it is common for a genial evil to exist through the evil genius. In most cases, we talk about some kind of a professor, scientist or inventor that has gone nuts because of his own genius and decided to rule the whole world. Usually, the persona of a subject shocks. Imagine a kind of a centaur: the upper side is somewhat human, but instead of legs a so-called genius has a metal body-frame on wheels powered by a complicated gears-and-pistons system; on the back side he has a pipe that regorges cloggy fume all the time. Imagined? Now that is a classic steampunk genius image, and by the way, cloggy black fume is an attribute of the genre as well as steam.
- And lastly, fashion and style. Steam world inhabitants dress oddly to say the least. A male character usually is dressed in great grandfather’s goggles, has a punk-ish (not steam) green mohawk on his head and of course a frock-coat. Women wear glamour leather corsets embellished with decorative gears and high leather jackboots. And of course high hats of all possible colors, forms and sizes. High hats remain actual in any steam-reality.